This project sets out to use a PLC to control a lifelike process regardless of if it is a real process or a process being simulated in another device such as another PLC.
In this case we chose to simulate the heating of an industrial temperature controlled room being used in a sensitive process that can not be excessively overheated. The transfer function of the original system has a significant amount of overshoot which is undesirable.
- Implement a second order process as a difference equation in a PLC with the ability to change this to a higher order transfer function.
- Implement and tune a PID controller in a second PLC.
- Create and add realistic noise to the output of the simulated process.
- Create and add a digitally triggered disturbance to the simulated process.
- Add a Human Machine Interface (HMI) to the controller PLC with real time outputs and adjustable controller parameters.
- Create a filter to reduce the noise present on the process output.
- Create a digital output alarm if the process variable exceeds a predetermined limit.
- Emergency Shutdown/Stop